Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I understand why it's called hard news

I got into to around 8:15 am Monday morning and checked my work email, added paper to the printer, and looked to see what my assignments were. I didn't have much to do other than cover a press conference by the police chief. Well when I got to city hall with the other photographer we saw a news station videographer standing by the side door. Big Mike was waiting for Aaron Noyer to be walked out by police. I had been gone for the week and didn't know why there was a secret perp walk. Noyer was the lead suspect in a child abduction. Rob, the other photographer then found out that the press conference was about the missing two year old girl.

I missed the press conference. So I shot two cops being sworn in a was able to get an interview with the police chief. They found the little girl too late. She was taken from her room, sexual assaulted, and then strangled to death.
I then had to shoot video of this story. It was a very hard day. I had to go to the site where the found the body and then to the little girls house.

If shooting was difficult, the editing of the video was. I understand why this is called hard news. There's nothing about this story that is easy. There's nothing about these types of stories that will ever be easy.
Now as I sit in the office listening to the police scanner through the left ear, my right ear can hear the reporters and editors having a pow-wow discussing where this story is going. The plot continues to thicken with this story, it's too bad that this won't be the last time something like this appears on the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment