Friday, August 13, 2010

Half way there

My things are getting close to being packed and and my laundry is almost done. I've finished my 11 weeks of work at the Erie Times News and now I'm preparing for a move west. Very west. Los Angeles in fact. I've never been to California which makes this exciting and terrifying all at the same time. I will be working for Lauren Greenfield for the next three months which is complete 360 from the newspaper. I'm hoping that I learn more about a different aspect to photojournalism and see really great work.

Here's what I've learned from working at a newspaper:
1.) Never assume anything, even if you think the person is the mayor ask anyway.
2.) Even if it's sunny outside, use a flash

3.) Don't think that just because you're working for a newspaper that you'll never have to do a portrait or studio work

4.) Keep your cell phone on you at all times, you never know when your editor or someone from the newspaper will need to contact you
5.) Go the extra distance when you have the time, if you're given an hour to photograph a book use that full hour to try something different. Your editor will see the extra effort and like the variety.

6.) Talk to the other photographers, they'll have good insight to approaching assignments and have good stories to tell

7.) You will mess up and it's ok because that assignment was a one time thing once it's done, it's over and you have to move on to the next thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment