Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tobacco juice and the all american game

About a week ago I had to photograph the Erie SeaWolves, the minor league baseball team. This meant I dragged around a lens that was heavy enough to kill a person, hung out in the dugout, and tried to follow a game that I know nothing about.

Knowing what I do about baseball, which is absolutely nothing, I basically switched from dugout to dugout and would switch from fan watching to sport watching. I now understand why sports photographers study the games with religious fervor, there are many nuances you can miss when you don't understand how the sport is played.

Another thing about the game I never realized was how much spitting occurs. Seriously. At any point during the five innings that I was there, I could find someone spitting. Whether they were on the field, in the dugout, waiting to bat; someone is spitting, like Men's Warehouse I guarantee it. And this spit is not the usually saliva mixture, nope it's a wonderful concotion of saliva, gatorade, and chewing tobacco. There was no tip-toe through the tulips but rather try not to step in spit.

No comments:

Post a Comment