Friday, June 11, 2010

Where Do Women Fit?

Two weeks down and eight to go in Erie. I've finally gotten to talk with the other interns at the paper and one intern and I had a particularly boring assignment, remodeling at a Wal-Mart Super Center but we got a chance to talk about work. She's a writing intern and we both were curious about what the other did, soon talk turned to the future. We both have concerns about where we may find work but also how does a woman fit into a working environment.
Does being a career woman mean ultimately scarficing a family or significant other? Does it mean women who are career orienated are doomed to become an Anna Wintour or Barbara Walters? On the other side, does having a family and being a mother then mean that your career is pushed off? I guess these are all questions that young women ask themselves as they set out to join the working force.

Wednesday was a busy day for me, I had three shoots, two of which weren't really what I thought I would ever be doing, studio work. One of the reasons I choose photojournalism as my major was because I wanted to be out in the world, seeing people and learning about different cultures and because I detest studio work. I'm afraid of lighting kits, hate posing people, and suck at figuring out lighting ratios. My first shoot was with postcards and the second was food. I read my assignment sheets and could feel the hives slowly forming. Luckily at the food shoot one of the staff photographers was there and he was amazing! Explaining everything to me while still allowing the shoot to be under my direction, he had so much patience! In the end, I only liked one but made it through the shoot.


One final cherry on my sundae was that I had the correct name of a person and the writer didn't. Photographer right, writer wrong! Slowly but surely I'm improving! Here's hoping that continues.

1 comment:

  1. Nice food photography! I haven't had the chance to shoot anything in the studio yet but we have it all set up. I am sure in my near future I will.

    Always like hearing your updates! Hope you are enjoying things!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete