Monday, June 7, 2010

Things They Don't Tell You at a Newspaper Internship

1.) When the appropriate time to eat lunch is
2.) Why there are so many one-ways in Erie, PA
3.) When you cover a fire, you will smell like an ashtray



So as you may or may not have guessed, I got to go shoot a fire. Here is my disclaimer, I never would want anyone's home or business to be destroyed and I would never want any harm on anything living, but it was really interesting to photograph. I heard the call over the police scanner and turned to the staff photographer and asked if I could tag along with him. He then told me that he couldn't go but that I could. I was so excited, it was my first chance at breaking news. Myself and another intern rushed into the company car and headed down route 19 towards the fire. We only knew that 3 fire companies were there and that an ambulance had been called. That's it. I guess that's why breaking news is such a gamble. The other intern and I got a chance to talk, and both agreed that being excited for a fire made us feel like horrible horrible people.



Seeing someone's home destroyed, was awful. To imagine that everything you ever owned gone makes you realize what you have. I tried to get close but to also be respectful, it's a hard thing to do. Much more difficult than I had expected. Here's hoping the family finds a the help they need. On a brighter note I did get to photograph some other things today and one of them was a garden at an elementary school.

2 comments:

  1. Hard to imagine how one may respond until actually faced with the situation. Remember the human (emotional) side of all you become a part of and your foundation and you will do well. Papa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the last photo is super sweet-I'm really diggin your stuff giiirl!

    ReplyDelete