Monday, November 14, 2011

Saginaw's 12th Homicide

This past Friday Deonte Darby was shot dead in Saginaw. He is Saginaw's 12th homicide for this year. I heard the call over the scanners and went with the reporter to the scene. It was difficult to shoot because I didn't want to be disrespectful to the man or his family nor did I want to piss off the people who were gathered around the police tape. So I shot a few frames and went back to the newsroom.

On Saturday after I finished up my last shoot for the day I went back to the street where he was shot. On the corner were his sister, mother, two friends, and his pregnant girlfriend cleaning up his blood and placing a memorial. I talked with them for a little bit and asked if I could take some pictures. Here's what I got.


I want to follow up with the family and with his girlfriend but I'm having difficulty reaching the family. It these kinds of situations that make me unsure of how to approach people. I don't want to over-step my bounds but I also want the chance to tell a story that is pertinent to the place. Hopefully I can get in contact with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment