Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Augusta Avenue Shooting

On September 18 one of my editors called me and said that a police officer shot a man and he was now dead. I covered the crime scene, a protest the following day and a community meeting. I think Ferguson had not only a larger impact on the public and the police but also on the journalism community. To continue to be unbiased in these kind of situations is a challenge. You don't want to villainize either side. The deceased man's sister asked the reporter and I to do her brother good and to not make him appear worse. She lost a brother, whatever that brother might have done in his life, that was her brother who is now dead. There is a necessity to not only be fair in journalism but to also have compassion. Here are my photos from the crime scene, protest and community meeting.
















No comments:

Post a Comment